Creston Valley Food Action Coalition Assistant
20-week position, 20 hours/week – $17 per hour
Closing date for applications – April 23, 2021
Start date is May 8, 2021
Who are we?
We are a network of local food producers, agricultural agencies and concerned citizens working to create awareness of how we can better feed ourselves using local resources in a sustainable, healthy, secure and environmentally sound way. We run local food initiatives such as the Creston Valley Farmers’ Market and Harvest Share, a volunteer run gleaning project which harvests and distributes excess produce to food insecure people. We also host a project called Growing Fresh which includes growing greenhouse crops and teaching cooking classes.
What is the job?
The Food Action Coalition Assistant will assist in three areas:
- Growing Fresh – Learning for Life – is a food security program in collaboration with Creston Community Seed Bank Society and the Creston campus of the College of the Rockies. All food grown will be distributed to food insecure people in the Creston Valley through our network of agencies. We will grow tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in the COTR greenhouse and vegetables in a garden plot. The Assistant will work with our grower to grow, harvest and distribute the crops. Covid 19 protocols must be followed
The second component of this project is to teach food insecure people cooking and kitchen skills. The assistant will help the cook/instructor in the classes.
- Creston Valley Farmers Market – The CVFM operates a weekly on Saturday from 9 – 1pm from April through to October. The Assistant will help the Farmers Market momager to set up and take down the market each week, assist vendors and customers and ensure the market is a safe environment. Covid 19 protocols must be followed.
- Harvest Share – The assistant will participate in harvests coordinated by our Harvest Share coordinator and will be under their direction. The harvests including fruit, vegetables and nuts are at both residential homes and commercial operations.
Who are we looking for?
A person with passion for local agriculture and Interest in the farm/food sector.
As well, you have experience in the following, or have interest in gaining experience in:
- Growing vegetables – in a greenhouse and or outdoors
- Setting up and participating in events and working with volunteers – weekly Farmers Market
- Picking fruit and vegetables
- Preparing food, cooking or working in a kitchen.
Must be able to:
- Respond to direction and also work independently if needed
- Motivate and manage yourself effectively
- Communicate and coordinate with direct supervisor
- Maintain on-going communication with the CVFAC Board as required
- Engage with the public and be able to assist and convey information
- Adhere to all Covid 19 protocols in a variety or working environments.
The successful candidate must provide a criminal record check and a drivers licence abstract.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to submit your application.